Do you remember how fast the speed of the internet in the beginning was? By beginning, I mean late 90s early 2000. That was the first time I had access to an internet connection at home. It had to be made with the help of a dial-up modem, it occupied the land line, and God forbid someone called while you were online.
The speed, on the other hand, comparing to today, was a complete nightmare. You had to wait days to download a movie. A song took almost half a day. It was horrible. But today, a song is down in a second, a movie in under a minute, and any page on the web takes less than a second to load. We live in a golden age.
The internet provider is not the only one who can help you have a high internet speed. You also need to do your part. And that is purchasing a high-quality, high-speed modem. There are a lot of choices, and as the time passes by, we get better and better modems because there is a high demand for high-speed internet access. The speed of the internet increases as well, but a modem can make the difference between an excellent signal at 100 Mb per second and low signal at 50 Mb per second.
The benefits of owning your own TWC cable
As you well know, when you sign a contract with an internet provider, you receive a modem. But you don’t receive it as in it’s given to you, you are just renting it. It’s not yours. You just pay rent for it while the contract is valid. At the end of the contract, you have to give it back. That is if you do not renew it. The point is that it’s not yours. And that’s a shame. There are a lot of benefits in owning your own modem. Here are a few.
- Cost – do you know how much Time Warner Cable charges per month to rent the modem? It is 8$. And that’s just for the modem. In three years that is almost 300 dollars. Why pay that when you can get a prettydecent modem for TWC for just 50$? Of course, you can find higher prices than that, but you don’t have to spend that much. The point is that you can save as much as 250$. It may not seem that much in three years, but why spend it at all?
- You know how old it is – when you rent a modem from your internet provider, chances are that it is not new. In fact, in most cases, it’s not. It has already been given to someone else and then reclaimed when that someone gave up on the company’s services or the contract reached its end. That means the modem has been used and abused by at least another person. But when you buy a modem, you know that it’s new. After all, you bought it. You are sure that no one abused it, it has no flaws, and that it can work at full capacity. Who knows who has been kicking the modem you are given out of frustration?
- It will work for a long time – like all things, modems suffer wear and tear. If you are given an old one, you may need to have it replaced in the next year or two. But when you buy your own, you can be sure that it will work properly for at least three years. For me, that is reason enough. There is nothing more frustrating than having no internet connection and waiting for the internet provider to send someone and replace your modem.
Buying your own modem for TWC is not all for the best. I mean, there are some pretty good advantages, but it has a few drawbacks as well. From where I stand, there are two disadvantages that may discourage people from buying their own internet modem.
- You can no longer call your internet provider and ask for technical support when the internet connection is down. You will not receive any assistance. You are going to have to find someone to fix it for you, other than the provider, and you are going to have to pay the bill. The technical assistance will no longer be free of charge.
- The setup may prove to be rather difficult, especially if you have no idea what you’re doing. You have two o You either call someone and have him do the setup for you, or you can learn to do it yourself.
As far as I am concerned, these two are not serious disadvantages. But that is because I know a thing or two when it comes to this field. Most people have no idea what they’re doing, and that is why I thought they are worth mentioning. In the end, after everything is done, the cable modem will pay for itself. That I can guarantee.
How to choose the best modem for TWC
When it comes down to purchasing your own internet modem, you cannot do it randomly. You need to know some things first. Do your research, and then start looking. That is because you need to establish some criteria.
The first thing you should consider is the download speed provided by your internet provider. For example, Time Warner Cable offers speeds that vary from 2 Mbps to 50 Mbps. You can find modems that can support a rate of 1 Gbps, but they are entirely useless when the speed of the plan you have is 30. So make sure that the speed you have and the one supported by the modem are similar. Keep in mind that the speedof the modem must be higher than the speed you are paying for.
Then, establish if you need a router. Some modems have inbuilt routers, but they are necessary forhouseholds where there are multiple devices that require an internet connection. But if you have a laptop and phone and there is no one else living with you, a modem with a router may be too much.
Thirdly, keep in mind that the router in your modem maybe half as fast as you think it actually is. Maybe you have too many devices in your home connected to the internet. The point is to avoid buying a 60 Mbps modem for a 50 Mbps internet speed. You’ll get 30 Mbps at best. Buy one which supports a higher rate. That way you can enjoy everything you are paying for, no matter how many people are connected to the same modem.
Last but not least, since we are talking about Time Warner Cable, make sure that the modem you buy is compatible with TWC. And stay away from DSL modems. I know that they are cheaper, but they will not work with TWC.
What are the best modems for TWC?
You wouldn’t believe how many products compatible with TWC there are. Actually, you can perform a simple search, and you will see. If I didn’t know what I was doing, I would be utterly confused. That is why I decided to make some suggestions that will spare you the trouble of unveiling the mysteries of the specifications you find.
TP-Link DOCSIS 3.0 High-Speed Cable Modem
Tp-Link is a mid-range cable modem that will rid you off paying a monthly fee to your provider. Why pay 300$ in 3 years when you can spend less than 50? And you don’t have to worry that you lose the tech support. TP-Link provides a 2-year warranty and 24/7 technical support. You can call for setup and troubleshooting, no matter when you bought the modem.
This modem will boost your internet speed. Thanks to DOCSIS 3.0, the modem supports a download speed of 343 Mbps and an upload speed of 143 Mbps. Of course, if your IPS doesn’t provide that, you won’t get it from the modem. Either way, your internet speed is high enough to enjoy all the benefits of a high-speed internet connection. You can browse the web very fast, play videos without buffering pauses, and you can play games without suffering through lag.
The installation is hassle-free. All you have to do is connect the modem, open a browser window, and the activation process will start automatically. If you cannot handle that, you can call your IPS to guide you through the process. This modem is compatible with various internet providers like TWC, Comcast, Spectrum, Cox, Bright House Networks, and much more. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Motorola Cable Modem
This modem is certified by various internet providers like Comcast XFINITY, Time Warner Cable, Cox, Bright House, Charter Spectrum, and much more. It can support a maximum speed of 686 Mbps thanks to DOCSIS 3.0. That is 16 times faster than the DOCSIS 2.0. The internet connection is fast, reliable, and you will not have it fail often.
The Motorola modem can be connected to computers, HDTVs, game consoles, or wireless routers. Keep in mind that this modem does not have a router, so you may want a different model or buy a router as well. The setup is very fast and straightforward. You need to follow a few easy steps in the Quick Start guide. If you cannot handle the process, the manufacturer providestechnical support.
The design is compact and attractive. If you want to place it on its side, all you have to do is remove the stabilizing foot by unscrewing the two screws underneath the label. It has a cooler that will extend its lifespan and will improve functionality. It is ideal for homes and offices alike. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Arris Surfboard SB6183 Cable Modem
The Arris modem is also a router that can provide an excellent wi-fi signal and speed that can go as up as 686 Mbps for download and 131 Mbps for upload. That, of course, has to be in accordance with the plan offered by your internet provider. If your speed is lower than that, you cannot possibly enjoy such a rate. So make sure that you are buying the right thing.
The Arris Surfboard is compatible with most internet cable providers in the U.S. It supports Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cox, Bright House Networks. If you have another ISP, you can call and find out if the modem is compatible. Arris is currently negotiating with Charter and other providers.
With this modem, you can stream HD videos, and multiple people can play games at the same time without experiencing lag. The model supports the latest Internet standards (IPv4 and IPv6.) The installation is quite straightforward. The manual is easy to understand, the instructions are clear, and if you cannot handle the process, help is provided. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Internet speed is very important to me. I can go as far as saying that I cannot bear life without a high-speed internet connection. That is why a high-quality cable modem is of the utmost importance. With that in mind, my number one recommendation is the Motorola Cable Modem. It provides an impressive ping, it boosts speed, and you can enjoy everything you pay for. Sure, it doesn’t have a router, but that is not an issue as far as I am concerned. In my opinion, it is one of the best modems for TWC.
I had internet when the speed was measured in kbps. I downloaded music and movies at a speed of maximum 10 kbps. I know what patience is. That is probably why I don’t want to live through that again. A good modem is worth a lot for people from my generation. For you too, but if you are 10 years younger, for example, you may underestimate it a little. But I am sure that one of the choices above will satisfy your needs and more. Click here to buy on Amazon
- The History of Modem Price Refuted
- A Review of Best Cable Modem
- Cable Modem Router Tips & Guide
- The Key to Successful Modem Router Combo
- Brief Article Teaches You the Ins and Outs of Motorola Modem and What You Should Do Today
- The Time Warner Modem Diaries
- New Ideas Into Internet Modem Never Before Revealed
- The Number One Question You Must Ask for Time Warner Cable Modem
- Possible Danger Signs on Docsis 3.0 Modem You Need to Know About
- Detailed Notes on Cable Modem in an Easy to Follow Order
- Whispered Modem Router Secrets
- What Experts Aren’t Saying About Surfboard Modem and What It Means For You
- Modem – an in Depth Anaylsis on What Works and What Doesn’t
- Top Arris Motorola Sb6183 Reviews!
- What Experts Aren’t Saying About Time Warner Router and What It Means For You
- Important Solutions for Router Modem Combo in Step by Step Detail
- What Does Wireless Modem Mean?
- Router and Modem Secrets
- What to Do About Cable Router Before You Miss Your Chance
- Facts, Fiction and Time Warner Compatible Modems
- The Debate Over Modem Internet
- How to Choose Best Modem Router
- Incredible Facts About Motorola Cable Modem Revealed by an Old Pro
- What Router Modem Is – and What it Is Not
- Choosing Dsl Modem
- The Undisputed Truth About Arris Surfboard Sb6183 That the Experts Don’t Want You to Hear
- Ideas, Formulas and Shortcuts for Best Modem Router Combo
- What You Don’t Know About Docsis 3.0 Cable Modem May Shock You
- The Foolproof Comcast Compatible Modems Strategy
- Docsis 3.0 Fundamentals Explained
- One Easy Trick for Best Modem Uncovered
- What Has to be Done About Twc Modem
- Top Tips of Arris Modem
- Xfinity Modem Tips
- What Experts Are Not Saying About Wifi Modem and What It Means For You